- My first thought was to go back to an earlier restore point, but I couldn't because it would crash each time I opened Help and Support.
- Next I created a new user and logged on as that user. this new user didn't experience the same issue, so I knew is was related to user settings rather than system settings.
- Restored a restore point, but the original user issue was not resolved. However, now at least I could do some research by using IE and the new user account.
- During research, I found a few articles talking about clearing cache with this issue. They were for older versions of Windows and IE, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
- I was unable to clear the cache by using the Internet Options in Control Panel because it errored out. I was able to delete the files manually.
- After the cache was cleared, all was good.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Fault in Wininet.dll
Yesterday I had a Windows XP client computer that generated a fault in Wininet.dll each time Internet Explorer 7 was started. And since IE seems to have hooks into a whole bunch of applications, those applications would error out as well. These included, Help and Support and Simply Accounting (seems that the .NET Framework was affected).