Saturday, March 27, 2010

Back to Basics: RTFM

Purchased a new brand of print server this week. As usual, every product has it's quirks. In this case, I needed to know the port name used for LPR/LPD printing on this device.

The print server came with a tiny (literally physically tiny, like you get with kids toys) set of instructions that worked great only for the basic windows printing scenario. Unfortunately, I was in the ancient NetWare printing zone (NetWare 5.1, shiver...).

So, the basic manual did not provide enough info. Step 2....Vendor web site.

Nope, same tiny manual as came with the box.

Step 3....Google.

Unfortunately the product is sold by so many places that all I got was sale listings.

I was about to give up when it occurred to me that perhaps there was some thing on the CD that came with the product. Turns out there is a one hundred and some page manual that covers just about everything conceivable, but only on the CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment