Friday, October 19, 2012

Things I Learned From My Students This Week - Oct 19, 2012

Learning in class is not a one way experience. A good instructor is going to learn based on the experience of his/her students. Inspired by my students this week, I'm going to start putting up a list of things I learn each week from my students. So, with no further ado, here is this weeks list:
  1. Alt+F4 closes the current window. Very handy when you have a ton of windows open and want them all to go away. Just keep whacking Alt+F4. Credit to Doug.
  2. I've always struggled for an example when a desktop computer would have multiple network connections and therefore possible have  issues with multiple default gateways. This week a student pointed out that laptops could have wireless and wired connections at the same time. Seems obvious now that he said it, but for some reason it never clicked for me before. Credit to Doug.
  3. Snap To option for a mouse automatically moves the mouse pointer to the OK button in a dialog box. I'm not sure whether this is good or evil yet, but I didn't know it existed before this week. Credit to Gord.
  4. If you need to test antivirus software functionality, you can download the EICAR file. It is a file that is not a virus, but will be detected by antivirus software. You can download it from here: http://www.eicar.org/86-0-Intended-use.html. Credit to Mike.
  5. The AHCI for hard drive configuration stands for Advanced Host Controller Interface. Credit to Mario, but fixed after fact check.

No comments:

Post a Comment